Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I've had better days before....

Have you ever prayed about something and had God answer it a little different than you had imagined? Well, I have been praying about my job for quite some time. To say the least, it hasn't been a "dream job" by any means. However, it was a job and I was determined to stick it out until I figured out what to do about it. I had basically been praying, "Is this where I am suppose to be or do I need to start looking for something else?"


Well, He made it REAL clear to me yesterday. We had a financial meeting this past Thursday and management made very sure to let everyone know that we WOULD NOT be doing lay-offs. They lied, yesterday, the two most recent hires got laid off and I was one of them. To say that I was shocked doesn't even do it justice. I'm not sure what happened from Thursday to Monday, but that was what the business thought was best, which means to me, God wants me somewhere else. I have never been fired, and never laid off, so it stung a little... no matter how many times my boss said that it had NOTHING to do with my performance, I couldn't help but wonder what else I could have done. 

So, here I sit in my living room, still in my pajamas, wondering what the heck to do. My Mimi has given me a hard time for a long time saying I shouldn't work... well, I was only home a half day yesterday and was bored out of my mind.... not working isn't an option. So, once again I start a job search. When I found Professional Alternatives back in April I sort of just had to settle, I was getting married in two months and needed something ASAP. This time, I'd like to find something I really want to do. I am thankful for Alec's job and all of his hard work, he didn't get home until 10pm last night..... long day! He has been the best husband in the world through all of this, seems to have the right words to say to make me feel like I'm not a failure and it is going to be fine.

I hope everyone is having a good start to a new week and any prayers would be greatly appreciated, once again, I know God has a plan and the hard part is chilling out and not worrying about it till it all works out.

7 comments:

Carrie Jo Howard said...

He sure does have a tricky way of doing things doesn't he? You think you've got it sort of figured out and then BAM! God has one heck of a plan for you... I'm sure of it. You are in our prayers. Welcome to the job hunt! Love you!

Jason said...

You are definitely in mine and Jason's prayers. I know finances can be a very scary thing. Just take this time to really reflect on what it is that will make you and Alec happy. We love you!

Jacci said...

sorry sweet girl :( i hope you find something soon. dallas is a big place with lots of opportunities. in the meantime though, you can always come to fort worth and play with me and scarlett ;)

Sarah said...

(This could get long, but I don't mean for it to...)

In Sept. of '94 -- you were probably 3 -- Troy and I were precious newlyweds. I was stressed out of my mind teaching and Troy HATED his job. My grandmother had JUST passed away and Troy was trying to look for other jobs. He got fired! For 6 months he looked high and low -- the economy was much as it is now -- and there were times I thought the Lord was playing a joke on us, or had just plain forgotten we were here, praying with all of our might.

That desert time brought Troy to a place where he would go to work for your dad! (Your dad had already tried, but Troy didn't want to do sales!) What a blessing that was for Troy to sit at the feet of such a wonderful, godly man -- AND to bring our family into a relationship with your family. And when it was time to move on from that, God opened those doors, as well.

You definitely got your prayer answered, and God has something for you. And until He gets you to it a)He will be faithful and b)now your job is to FIND a job. You could also do things like Meals on Wheels or rocking preemies in the hospital (I understand those volunteer jobs go fast!) while you have some 'down time' to bring you into contact with other people who are in a difficult time.

I will write you in my prayer journal THIS instant. I know that you will learn much about yourself and your God as you walk this road -- and I'm so thankful your Alec is being as precious as we knew he would be. I bet Tucker is glad you're there! :-)

Troy M. Stirman said...

Chelsea-

Certainly, I can't communicate any better than Sarah with how she describes our past predicament. At least you weren't kicked out of the building with a locksmith standing at the ready- those people made me feel like a felon- and for no reason other than they were paranoid that someone would attempt retribution of some kind. (That was a very difficult time and hard to understand and put it behind me as I pursued other opportunities.)

But I will promise you this- when Man shuts one door, God opens the floodgates for HIS people and takes care of them. He certainly did for me. I landed at the feet of one of the godliest people I've ever had the pleasure to work with- Lynn Becker! I wouldn't trade that experience now for anything in my career.

Take heart, young lady. The God of David, Abraham, Moses, and Elijah has your name inscribed on His palm. He will not fail you nor leave you!

-Troy

Anonymous said...

Hey Chels, so sorry about the job. But at least you can take the time now to find what you will really enjoy. God does have a plan for us all and will always provide and take care of us. Keep me posted how things go. Love you!!!

Kelly Sessions said...

Chelsea, I am in the same boat...praying about that step in my life. And also I wanted to put on my HR hat for a second. Layoffs stink and we've been doing a little of that ourselves, and from an HR perspective it is the hardest part of my job. And let me say that it in NO WAY has anything to do with performance or the person, it is simply a busness decision by higher authority! I am praying for you, and I KNOW things will work out...there are so many options, and I keep telling myself that...you can be whatever you want to be, we're young and have that going for us!! Hang in there;)